Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sir Robin of Loxley!

Hello all. Yesterday was fantastic. Jack and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary with a movie, dinner, and a trip to Home Depot. You have no idea how long it's been since we've watched a movie in the theater, and Robin Hood was a good choice--romance for me, and arrow violence and minimal fire for Jack. Is it sad that we were cuddling next to each other during the movie, quoting Monty Python in some parts and laughing at the excessive ending? Here is my review of the movie--

Ever since I was a little girl, I've been obsessed with the Middle Ages and King Arthur and Robin Hood and all that jazz. What I've discovered over the years is that people were stinky, had bad teeth, and were lucky to live past the age of 30. The movie did a good job of depicting filthy, nasty medieval men (surprisingly, Maid Marian looked pretty fresh most of the time) and awesome, bloody battles. I was actually intrigued by the new take on the storyline. However, the ending just ruined it for me. The climactic battle between the Frenchies and England on the shore was pretty good--and then Lady Marian and her army of "feral children" (yes, they were listed as feral children in the credits!) ride into battle and start kicking butt---WHAT???? Okay, I was willing to overlook that, even though Jack and I were snickering, then there was the overly cheesy slow mo "Noooooooooooooooooooo . . . " (imagine distorted faced-Russell Crowe brandishing sword in fury) from Robin as he avenged Marian's battle wounds. Too much!!!!! And did I mention that my new favorite Mr. Darcy (Matthiew McFayden) is the skeezy Sheriff of Nottingham? If you want to distort P&P visions, just check out rotten-toothed had-to-be-reeking Sheriff. Ewwwwww.


So,

decent storyline, nice costuming, excessive violence and ruinous ending. But a fantastic date night, and I will always remember quoting "There's some lovely filth over here" to Jack's amusement, eating fried cheesecake and pretty good hamburgers, and staring into the eyes of the person I want to be with forever! I love you Jack!


No comments: